General Questions

Why Canada?

In last several years, Canada has been accepting over a quarter of a million new Permanent Residents each year.

For people with skills, work experience and a good standard of English or French, qualifying for residence is not a huge barrier.

Once accepted, you can take pleasure from the fact that you will be free to live permanently in a country consistently rated by the UN as the world’s best country to live in.

Furthermore, Canada is the world’s second biggest country, rich in natural resources including oil reserves second only to Saudi Arabia.

Despite the abundance of natural wealth, real estate in most Canadian locations has traditionally been cheap compared with other developed countries. A combination of a rising currency and rapidly rising real estate prices means this is no longer the case in much of Canada.

If you are bringing children to Canada, it’s likely their education will be important to you.

The OECD compared the performance of school students in 65 countries in mathematics, reading and science.

Students in Canadian schools performed better than students from any other English speaking country. “What Students Know and Can Do.” (pdf)

Canada’s health care is publicly (tax-payer) funded: payment is generally not required for medical treatment, although, depending on the province you live in, it’s probable you’ll pay for pharmaceuticals and dental care.

Canada’s over 35 million residents enjoy virtually unlimited recreational opportunities, and you might be forgiven for thinking you have found your dream location.

Unfortunately, for many migrants, Canada has been more of a nightmare than a dream.

The Canadian government is aware that many migrants have struggled economically in Canada, and it is now striving to improve migrant outcomes.


Immigration Questions

What is a permanent resident ?

A Permanent Resident (PR) is someone who has acquired PR status by immigrating to Canada, but is not yet a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries. Permanent residents have the right to most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive but are not allow to vote or run for political office. Permanent residents are not allow to apply to some jobs that need high-level security clearance

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada: Understand Permanent Resident Status

What is a Permanent Resident card?

A Permanent Resident (PR) card is the official proof that you are a PR of Canada. You use this card to show that you can enter and stay in Canada when you return from another country. If you are immigrating to Canada and provide a Canadian mailing address, you do not need to apply for a PR card. It will be mailed to you after you get to Canada. If you do not provide your Canadian mailing address when you become a PR, you must send your Canadian address to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) within 180 days of becoming a PR.

For more information:


What do I need to know so that I don’t lose my Permanent Resident status?

 As a Permanent Resident (PR), you may travel outside of Canada. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status. You can lose your
PR status if you do not live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period, are convicted of a serious crime and told to leave Canada, or become a Canadian citizen. Losing your PR status does not happen automatically. Unless you have gone through an official process, you have not lost or given up your PR status, even though you may not be eligible to return to Canada as a PR.

For more information:

What should I do if I lose my PR Card?

A. In case your PR card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you should contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) immediately to report it. To apply for a new PR card, you will have to fill out an application package and pay an application fee of $50 Canadian dollars. If you do not want to apply for a new card right away, you still need to fill out a web form on IRCC’s website to report your PR card lost, stolen or destroyed. If you are outside Canada when your PR card is lost, you should report it to the closest Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) visa office and apply for a permanent resident travel document in order to return to Canada.

For more information: